10 easy steps to make money off your site
Making money online is not the headache many people expect. In fact, by following a few simple steps, having some patience and the right motivation, you can turn your site into a steady income generator. Once you’ve set up your site, choosing an effective, high-paying ad platform, such as AdSense, Adsgadget or Adbrite is the next best step.
Setting up your site
- Decide on a concept: it’s the little details that turn a website into a great online community with thousands of visitors. People open websites and blogs for different reasons and with different goals in mind. Think of yours and make sure it is clear, to you and everyone else. Choose a concept, a theme; know what you want your content to be, what you want to talk about, write about, etc. The options are infinite when it comes to creating a site.
- Build your site: Choose a CMS (WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc.) that’s comfortable and easy to use. If you’re right off the bat, you might want to consider going with WordPress or Blogger, which have a simpler, more straightforward interface. If you’re into the whole tech thing and have a bit of experience, try Joomla or Drupal. Most content management systems nowadays operate with a super simple interface that allows you to choose from a variety of themes and designs, content layouts, and everything of the above!
- Commercially viable content: We’re back to the first point. Obviously your site’s content will be a reflection of the concept behind it. Regardless of what your content is, make sure that it’s commercially viable. And yes, this is possible with EVERY type of content in the world, no matter how niche it may be. You can always add a topic that has mass appeal. Keep in mind that besides written content, sites that offer a service, such as file sharing or video streaming, also have the potential of attracting dedicated visitors to your site.
- Get traffic: Making your site attract a good amount of traffic is essential to the monetization process. A high amount of visitors means a high amount of impressions, which means a high amount of clicks and ultimately, conversions. Put your site on the map! Do some social media marketing, open profiles in all social utilities and gather friends, commenters, readers. Join social groups and communities online that are relevant to your niche, connect with other webmasters, exchange articles, links, etc. add advertising and SEO here.
- Choose a self-serve ad platform: Self-serve ad platforms are the easiest, most convenient way to start monetizing a site. The secret is to find a simple, easy to use platform that is accessible and hassle-free. Self-serve ad platforms like Adsense, Adsgadget are straightforward and super easy to use; it offers publishers a chance to start monetizing from scratch, it doesn’t require any impression volume minimums and the payout threshold is only 1$. It has a top-notch optimization algorithm and live historical reporting, which are essential features when it comes to choosing a self-serve ad platform.
- Create an ad placement: Once you’ve decided on an ad platform, signed up and logged in, it’s time to create your first placement! Ad platforms offer a “one-click” effective process to do so; simply choose a category that best describes your site among the available options, click on “new placement” and your ad code will automatically appear on screen.
- Implement the ad on your site: Contrarily to what many people think, implementing an ad code on your site is the easiest part of the process. Simply copy the ad code that was created after creating a placement and paste it within your content management system. The process may slightly vary from system to system (e.g. WordPress may offer a widget to place the tag in, while Joomla may not) but overall, it’s a general, 3 second process.
- Send traffic: The only way your ad platform will be able to optimize your banner’s performance and generate high results is by getting to know your traffic. In order for this to happen, you need to send the highest possible traffic volumes to your ad platform.
- Track performance: Most of the self-serve ad platforms, allow publishers to run live and historical reports on their banners’ performance and check which banners are working best where.
- Optimize: Optimizing your banners is the one of the most important parts of the monetization process. Depending on your banner’s performance stats, you can try several alternatives to improve them. Among them, try changing the banners’ position on your site, experiment with different ad sizes and types, use rich media creative, etc.
Though these steps are definitely helpful to speed up and maximize the monetization process of a site, publishers need to remember that there is no one, error-proof formula to reach the gold. The secret is to understand the process, analyze the results, keep an open mind and not be afraid to try different things. Monetization is only possible through trial and error.